Georgia Tech is seeking someone who strives to be a catalyst for excitement around technology commercialization. The Associate Director for the Office of Technology Licensing (OTL) will play an integral part in building on the forward momentum already achieved.
The successful candidate must be able to easily move between the high-level view of academic commercialization culture and strategy while carefully giving attention to details required in licensing and other intellectual property agreements. With responsibility for the stewardship of Georgia Tech’s intellectual property assets, the Associate Director must be comfortable with a broad range of technology sectors, including copyrighted works.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and educational training:
- A high degree of energy, enthusiasm, and dedication to transferring technology for public benefit.
- Ability to collaborate with internal offices and third parties, including other academic institutions and industry.
- Leadership and supervisory experience in academic technology transfer or experience in corporate business development. Minimum of 5 years of licensing experience, with a preference for an in-depth understanding of and experience in a research university environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to efficiently and effectively mentor and guide a significant number of direct reports. Sets clear expectations and holds direct reports accountable for performance.
- Experience in supporting and growing professional development of technology transfer staff.
- Deep understanding of the academic research environment, including the various stakeholders of an academic technology transfer office.
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering is required; advanced degree is preferred.