Miami building collapse: Demolition date brought forward ¶
By: Meya dadada on July 5, 2021, 3:59 a.m.
Miami building collapse: Demolition date brought forward
The demolition of slotxo the standing portion of the apartment block that collapsed near Miami has been brought forward due to an approaching tropical storm.
The upright section of Champlain Towers South will be destroyed within days to allow rescuers to search the site safely, officials say.
The death toll has risen to 24, with 121 people missing after the collapse of the 12-storey building on 24 June.
Officials are investigating other tower blocks for structural faults.
On Saturday, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said the forthcoming demolition would "protect our search-and-rescue teams".
He added: "We don't know when it could fall over. With these gusts that would create a real severe hazard."
Storm Elsa, a 75-mph (120km/h) hurricane, could potentially hit Florida early next week.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Cava Levine signed a demolition order on Friday. She initially said she expected the demolition would not happen until late July.
Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said the fear was that the storm would knock the rest of the building down and drop debris on to the zone where survivors were still being sought.
"Obviously the building is a problem and the only solution is to get rid of it," he said.
Ms Cava Levine said the families of those still missing had been told of the decision and "they understand". No-one has been found alive since the first hours after the collapse.